Monday, March 1, 2010

Electronic Food Scale

.

This gadget will change your life! I originally bought it to weigh out ingredients for baking since I wanted to be precise with my measurements. It made a world of difference in how my pastries turned out. When you scoop out things like flour or brown sugar, it's hard to get the right density - light and airy or packed and full. The food scale eliminates the guess work and all you have to do is pour the ingredients into a container until you hit the right number. I conducted various experiments and discovered that the difference between weighing vs. using measuring cups can be as much as 30%! This can really throw off your recipe. I now look for cookbooks that list recipes in grams or ounces and convert cup measurements as well. The best part is you don't have to rinse your measuring cups between various tasks. This tool is a must have in the kitchen.

I also use the scale to weigh out proper portions of meat, fish, pasta, grains, cereals or whatever I feel like measuring to make sure I don't go overboard on the serving size. This has really helped in the weight loss department as you can keep your portion sizes in check. For example, the proper serving of peanut butter is 2 tablespoons which looks like a decent amount but if you weigh the 34 grams serving size, it's about 50% less. You think you're eating 200 calories but in fact, you're really getting a lot more than you bargained for.

There are different types of scales on the market but look for one that is easy to use and more importantly, easy to clean. Most of them measure in ounces and grams but check to see if the scale can do both, otherwise you'll spend uneccessary time converting. A high weight capacity is also really helpful in order to weigh heavier items like potatoes or squash or use larger bowls. I use an 11lb capacity OXO scale at home that I purchased for $50 and it works like charm.

As for a progress update, I've lost a total of 6 pounds since starting my new eating plan on Feb 15th. This morning, I felt a huge difference in my energy level as I jumped out of bed at 6:30, which is really early for me. Normally, I'm in a deep slumber until at least 8:30. I have also been hitting the gym five days a week and alternate between strength training, cardio and spinning classes. Classes work best for me as I'm challenged by the peer pressure and my competive nature maks me work harder. Spending an hour on the treadmill or Precor machine is pure torture for me and I give up well before I should.

8 comments:

  1. How funny! I've also been on a weight loss trip myself and I swear by the little home scale. It puts a very raw perspective on things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post about electric scales. Quite informative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog ~ thanks for posting such useful content./Nice article and great photos. Very nicely done!
    shop electronics

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's an important gadget and I will do my best to buy it soon. I've been reading this blog and I think you've been doing an interesting and serious job, specially with this kind of informations. 2j3j

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what you are speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. Thanks for staying so upfront and so sincere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent job.. i would like to read more info about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely leave comments on articles, but your article encouraged me to compliment your writings. Thanks for the read, I will tweet your post and come back occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I consider it's to much to buy a machine or gadget like that, I think that we have the correct measurement for our recipes in order to keep the line.

    ReplyDelete